What You Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity

Friday, April 18, 2008

2008 BP MS150

This year's ride was definitely one to remember for the ages. Especially for me it was. I experienced my first mental break-down ever. What a feeling it was. I never understood how ppl breakdown like that, but i guess I know now. I never would have expected this either. You really don't know until it hits you. And it hits you hard.
The morning started off beautifully. We all gathered for the Team photo. I had Illenny to my right and Gena right behind me. And it was even more special that the 4 of us were together for the photo...Carlos, Eva, Illenny and myself. Finally!...after 3 years of doing this. Then we were headed off to Katy to start our ride.
Everything was fine until the freakin wind started to hit us in the face. That's when everything started to go south for me. My hernia started to act up. Then my knees started to give in.
I swear I never remembered so many hills on day 1 from when i did it last year. After lunch, I started to find my rhythm, but it was too late. About mile 60, my knees were killing me. Just in time, I found Illenny waiting for me at the top of the hill and I immediately pulled over and took a deep breath and knew that I couldn't continue.
That feeling was just too much for me and caused me to suffer a mental break-down. The thought of not finishing and leaving Illenny by herself killed me. The thought of letting down all the ppl that donated to me killed me. The thought of not being able to battle as those living with MS killed me. Of all the winnings and loses I've endured through the years of playing sports, never did I have a mental breakdown and never could conceive of ever having one.
I suppose this event mattered to me more than I let on.
We didn't get back to LaGrange until 7:30pm and then after showering, we didn't get back to the tent until 9:30pm. By that time, they were cleaning up so I had no dinner. I only had a cup of water and a cup of Doritos...not even the entire bag. It was freezing that night and with my knees popping all night long, I had absolutely no sleep. I woke up feeling like shit. I want to ride so bad, but I finally listened to my body and stayed back to help with the volunteers.
But I wasn't going to let my spirits get down for too long. We arrived in Austin and I was ready to go cheer on the riders. No time or room to drown in my sorrows.
It was so much fun cheering on the team rider. It was particularly special to see Illenny cross that finish line. It was soooo exciting!
This year's ride was special though. The 4 of us were finally together. Regina and her daughter came to cheer us on in Day 1. Elodie and David came to cheer us on in Day 2.

And our traditional dinner after was that even more special with Sandra, Jonathan, Roberto, and Tamara there to join us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home