What You Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity

Monday, June 04, 2007

Game 2 vs. Blue Devils

Today was a make-up game that we did not get to play 2 weeks ago due to rain. It's been 2 weeks since we've made it out to the softball field, but we picked up right where we left off from game 1. It took us about 2 innings to get back in sync, but then the funny thing is that it took us about 2 innings to fall right back out of sync. The game started off really good for us in the early innings. We were leading 17-5 in about the 5th inning, but somehow...in those last 2 innings our opponent came roaring back to take an 18-17 lead. Since we were the home team, we got to bat last. Sara, the cute interned I mentioned from before, started off our comeback rally. She got herself onto first base with a hit that the 3rd baseman bobbled. Then it was my turn to bat. I hitted a hard grounder that bounced right by second base and deep into the outfield. As I was charging towards 1st base, I saw Sara hesitating to run so I started shouting to her "run, run". So she did...boy did she ever. She took off and made it to second base. Eric then comes up to bat and their pitcher walks him so Sara and I moved up a base. She was now the tieing run. A grounder from Ted brought her in for the tie. It was now 18-18. I'm on 3rd...now the winning run. Taft comes up to hit...and he pops a hard grounder just pass 3rd base allowing me to come in for the score. And so that's how the game ended. It was quite a nice thriller. Something that we seem to be doing to ourselves lately. It still amazes me how quickly we blew that lead. I still say the team is too cocky. I secretly was hoping we would loose this game just to put us back in our place and back down to earth, but the mentality of some of the guys on this team is just too far out there to ever bring them back to earth. I can't blame them though...they all play in real league competition. I would too if I had the time, but I just don't.
Anyhow...I was 3 for 3 at bat and catch a crazy pop-fly that came my way in right field. The ball looked to be a short one so I came charging from the back of the field to catch this one. That was a cool feeling, but I was sure huffing and puffing after that one.

Well, I'm not quite done there. I stuck around to play for a team that was short on ppl. I think short is quite an understatement cuz only 3 ppl from their team showed up...hahaha. It just so happened to be the team that Carlos plays on so I'm always willing to help. Plus...there's this cute hispanic chick on that team. Good to look at but looks a lil too high maintenance for me. Anyhow...so some of us stuck around to play for them and we almost gave them their first victory in 2 seasons. But we fell short by 1 run. The game was actually tied at the bottom of the 6th, but we couldn't hold them off defensively. They were able to load the bases and with only 1 out...it was an easy win for them. I really wanted this win for that team though. I've helped them out numerous of times last season and witness the brutality that teams bestow upon this team and it's just not right. The team is just full of girls to begin with. No pun intended. I know that girls can play too, but these girls can't except for maybe 1. Today, they pretty much got a team with players that could play...but still we fell short. I'm so disappointed. I thought we all did pretty good. The team deserved to win. Well, their hopes are gonna be crushed in their next make-up game cuz they face my team...and well...what can I say...it's going to be a crushing blow. Too bad I won't be able to help them this time. One of the lady is a real sweetheart on that team. She kept saying to me that I should be on their team and how they needed someone like me to motivate the team and what not. I always have fun talking to her. Poor thing cuz she twisted her ankle today as she was coming in for a score. I think she got so excited about score (probably something rare that happens for her and her team) that she lost focus for a second and her ankles gave out on her. She scored though...but that ankle is going to hurt tomorrow. O...and it takes much less than one second to lose focus and twist your ankles. I know from first hand experience. My ankles have gave out on my twice playing basketball simply cuz I was more focused on other things and did not have my mind on the game.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home