What You Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Welcome Back! Where You Been?!

Holy moly! Where have you been all this time?! How you been doing?!

I can't believe I've been gone all this time! So many years have past since my last post. Not sure that I'm still the same person since I've last posted. Hopefully I haven't changed too much.

One thing for sure is I am much older and a bit wiser these days. And I take less crap from ppl. But I'll always be that "nice" guy no matter what all around me has changed.

I guess I'm back cuz I needed some form of therapy...some way to keep me distracted from my crazy life, thanks in many part to my crazy work schedule. I guess I must find some sort of comfort in this place.

For about the last 6 months I have been working crazy hours. When this nightmare-of-a-test started at work, one tech was scheduled to work the 4AM to 12PM shift while the other tech would work the 12PM to 10PM shift. For about the first two months, we would alternate our shift each week, but that took a toll on our bodies and it was like being jet lagged the entire time cuz just as you were getting used to the evening shift, now you have to wake up extra early to do the morning shift. After that second month, we decided that one person would do the morning shift and the other will stick to only night shift. That has worked out much better for our body and general health. Well, I got the night shift. The up side to this is that I get to sleep in. But the down side to this is that I no longer have a life. By time I get off work, there is no where really to go or anything to do. Can't hang out with friends cuz they're getting ready for bed. There are no healthy food options. The only places open are fast food drive-thrus.

I struggle sometimes with this schedule but I have surprised myself with how well I've coped with it. With economy being so bad and friends being laid off, I'm just happy I still have my job. So I try not to complain too much about my situation. Boo-hoo-hoo, right?! I still have my job, so STFU, right?!...is exactly what I'm thinking!

But it really does take a toll on you physically and mentally. No denying that.

I've also changed my lifestyle a bit. For the first time in my life, I actually signed up for a gym and actually went. I signed up with LA Fitness back towards end of October of last year. But unfortunately, with the economic downturn, the company is stopping the fitness reimbursement so I had to cancel my membership. $32/month was a bit expensive for my budget. I have until end of May to workout at LA Fitness. After that, I will probably sign up with Fitness Connection since it's only $10/month. I won't feel so guilty if I don't make it to the gym everyday. I know I'll get what I pay for cuz Fitness Connection is nowhere near the quality of LA Fitness.

The reason I signed up for the gym was because I didn't expect to be playing softball this year. But again, due to the economic downturn, the coach of my softball was laid off. Had he still been employed, he still would have been coach, and so I wouldn't have had a spot on the team. Signing up for the gym would have been a way for me to keep active. I know now that my body needs activity. I've been active in sports my whole life. I wasn't ready to give that part of my life up yet. And so I joined the gym.

My workouts have definitely benefited me in softball. I started off slow at the beginning of the season and after a few weeks of rain-outs, I have come back strong the last couple weeks. I've been killing it at the plate and also on defense keeping right field locked down! I've gone 5 for 5 with 2 walks the last couple weeks. And during this week's game, on defense, a ball was hit deep into right center that it had me running back with my head turned around. I did a good job keeping my eye on the ball the whole way until I had to turn my head right. That's when I lost the ball. It dropped just 2 feet away from me. Missed it!...so close...dang it! But that's alright. I picked up the ball and gunned it from deep right center to my shortstop, Taft. He then gunned it home to Marvin who caught the ball just in time for the out. Thank goodness it was Marvin behind the plate and not our regular Riga. Somehow the ball would always hit Riga in the glove but somehow he would always find a way to drop the ball. He has yet to make a play at the plate.
Then there was a shallow pop fly into right field that I had to haul ass to get to.  I had to let up a bit when I finally got there. Guess I didn't realize I still had some speed under these old legs of mine. It was a very good outing for me this week.

Well it's getting late. Time for me to turn in now. But it was really nice to be back here and posting again. I hope I can find time to do this again soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home