What You Do In Life, Echoes In Eternity

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Helpless Feeling

Today during our usual Saturday morning bike ride with the club, a pedestrian accident happened. Although it happened only feets ahead of me, I didn't witness the accident cuz it happened around a curve in the road. As I got around that curve, I saw a group of riders hurdled up around a car so I knew something bad happened. I saw another rider on the phone and she yelled out to ask me what mile we were at. I told her I think it was about 3 miles from the start of the ride. I pulled aside and quickly got off my bike and ran ahead to the scene. I saw this girl just laying by the side of the road. She was still awake and talking to the guys who arrived on the scene first....so that was a good thing. One guy was getting her name and info, another called 911 and I ended calling one of our support riders. Luckly she was just ahead and was able to arrive on the scene pretty quickly. Not before one of the town sheriff though. We were able to put a couple of blankets on the girl to keep her warm. Thank goodness that Amy, SAG, had blankets in her car. But then soon after, the ambulance arrived.
The girl was bleeding pretty bad from her head. Other than that...she seemed ok. Nobody tried to move her cuz we were all worried about broken bones. We heard from one of the witness that she saw her flying off her bike, took a couple of flips before landing. From what they tell me, her read tires saved her cuz her rear wheels where crashed. I'm kind of glad that I didn't witness it. I don't know how I would have taken it. Just seeing her on the ground was enough for me. And then seeing blood from the head area just did it for me. I think that was one of the worse feelings I've ever had. Feeling so helpless...not knowing what to do. How do you even comfort someone who just got hit by a car? I was almost at a lost for words. I'm glad I kept my composure though. One thing I've learned is not to panic around an injured person cuz you'll only end up scaring them and they could possibly go into shock. Never good when they go into shock.
I decided to continue the ride and after finishing, I ran into the girls I was talking with while at the accident scene and they tell me that the girl was lucky to come away with only a head injury, no broken bones...just a few stitches. It could have been worse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home